Sunday, June 9, 2019

Rolling-Ball Sculpture #3 (RBS-3) Part ONE

     For the past few months, I have been sculpting, molding, and casting figures in 7/8"/ft. scale (1/13.7). I am now selling these to Garden Railroad Hobbyists on my website. Take a look...    www.carlospirito.com/figures.html 

   But now, I have the urge, once again, to build a big, complex rolling-ball machine (sculpture?). I want to try to design something very different from others I have built. The first step is to design a mechanism to get the balls up to the top, after which Gravity will do all the work. I used a "spiral lifter last time, so this time I want to try an "arm-lifter". 

   After lots of Youtube Research, sketching, and measuring, I came up with the following. The video shows an early mock-up of the lifter, made from "Foamcore". It falls apart after 15 seconds, but does show that the design works. For a larger version of the video, go to   https://youtu.be/KuOBN8B7qEg 



Next, I'll move on to a better wood and metal "Proof-of-Concept" model. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment